Disputing Speeding Tickets in British Columbia

If you wish to dispute a speeding ticket received in British Columbia and would like legal advice, meet with Gordon J. Dykstra to discuss your speeding ticket case.

It’s possible that you can be prohibited from driving in BC for too many speeding tickets and/or other traffic violations.

Some traffic violations, such as driving while impaired almost always results in a driving prohibition (if found guilty).

However, you don’t have to commit a criminal driving offense to be at risk for being prohibited from driving.

For example, if you receive too many speeding tickets within a short period of time (usually a 12 month period, but could be shorter or longer), you could receive a driving prohibition.

The Traffic Ticket and Speeding Ticket Prohibition Process

First, you will receive a letter stating that you are at risk for receiving a driving prohibition due to infractions. Note, however, that in some cases, if you’ve committed too many infractions, you may receive no warning and instead you are prohibited from driving on a set date.

What can you do about speeding tickets and other traffic tickets?

You can appeal. In fact, you can have your day in court if you disagree with the ticket.

If you succeed with your dispute, then the associated points with the tickets are not added to your driving record. It’s the too many points that place BC drivers at risk for being prohibited from driving.

How can you dispute a ticket?

You must do so within 30 days of receiving the ticket. Note that you don’t have to do it yourself. You can hire a lawyer to file the dispute on your behalf.

Once your or someone on your behalf files a dispute, you will receive a traffic court date.

What is traffic court?

Traffic court is held in a BC Provincial Courthouse; the Courthouse where you filed your dispute.

Traffic court is conducted much like a regular trial.

What are the potential issues you can dispute?

You can dispute the allegation that ticket makes about a driving offense; or

You can dispute the amount of the fine.

Note that if you dispute the amount of the fine that the associated points for the ticket will still be applied to your BC driving record.

Is there help with disputing speeding tickets and other traffic violations in BC?

Yes. Gordon Dykstra is a BC criminal defence lawyer who has helped many people dispute speeding tickets and other traffic violations in BC Traffic Court. Call Gordon today to find out if you have a case with which he can help. Call Gordon toll free at 604.853-4793 or toll free at 1.877.753-4793.